Welcome to PERS
The Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS) proudly serves the state of Mississippi by providing retirement benefits for individuals working in state government, public schools, universities, community colleges, municipalities, counties, the Legislature, highway patrol, and other such public entities. These retirement benefits not only help recruit and retain a strong public workforce in Mississippi, they help stimulate local economies in every county in the state and help reduce the need for social assistance.
A Message to Our Members, Retirees, and Employers
The Public Employees’ Retirement System of Mississippi (PERS) thanks each of you for your patience as we continue navigating through the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. PERS continues to review its processes to determine how best to continue conducting business and keeping our guests and employees safe. Staff may follow various guidelines and safety measures, and guests should consider certain guidelines and safety measures, as well.
Guidelines for PERS Guests:
- Guests may conduct PERS business by telephone or online. Before coming to the building, please consider calling to see if your needs can be handled by telephone or videoconference. Our numbers are 800-444-7377 and 601-359-3589. Remember, too, that our website provides many helpful resources.
- Visits to PERS are by appointment only. Guests needing to discuss their accounts should call PERS to arrange a scheduled time to speak with a retirement counselor. If a teleconference or videoconference appointment is not preferred, guests will be scheduled for an appointment in person at PERS.
- Please limit the number of guests accompanying you. We understand that some individuals may require an additional person for physical assistance or to provide transportation. However, we ask that you limit the number of additional people who come with you to an appointment.
- Any guest who is sick with any illness, has a fever, or who is displaying any symptoms from COVID-19 is asked to stay home and not visit the PERS building. Any guest who has been sick is required to have been fever- and symptom-free for an appropriate amount of time prior to entering the building.
- Finally, by entering the PERS building, each guest confirms that he or she has not had any symptoms from COVID-19 nor has been recently exposed to someone with a positive COVID-19 test.
PERS Focus Sessions and group seminars, as requested by employers, are being offered virtually and in person. Please watch the Retirement Education page of our website for the availability of these events.
We thank each of you for your careful consideration of these guidelines. Please continue to take care of yourselves and stay well! PERS will continue to review the evolving public health guidance so that all staff and guests may feel comfortable while visiting PERS. Thank you.
Ray Higgins, PERS Executive Director